When it comes to bagels there are a lot of different ways to make these guys, in TODAY’S article however I’m going to be going through a recipe you might have never heard of and that I think is going to tickle your fancy…
Personally, being a fan of Bagel King I knew that this was something that I didn’t really need to do myself but was something I still wanted to share with my readers and my friends so in today’s article that’s exactly what I’ll be talking about.
I think this is something everyone should know about as this is a really important skill to have and in today’s article I’m going to be going through how to go about making some of these on your own.
Follow along and in today’s article I’ll be getting into some different reasons this is something that I really think you’ll find a lot of value out of and of course if you’ve got any additional questions or comments please feel free to leave anything you might not be understanding below…let’s go ahead and dive right in shall we?
Homemade Potato Bagel Recipe
The thing about these recipes is that they’re really simple and are something that I think a lot of people will find value out of if you take the time to do this right…
…In this day and age it’s really important to make sure that we’re spending our time wisely and doing it in a productive way so this is really something that I think a lot of people will find useful and informative in their day to day activities especially if you’re a bakery fan and like to do things like this in your home.
The thing about the bagel is that this is a lifestyle activity – making bagels isn’t something that people just go out and do every once in awhile (although they could if they wanted) for me this is something that became a part of my LIFE and is something that has really helped me out in more ways than one.
The first thing that you’ll want to do is go out and make sure that your kitchen is in order…This is important for a number of reasons but when you’re going out and doing something like this it’s really important to make sure that your kitchen is organized first. This is going to make going through your pantry so much easier and is going to be something you’ll definitely be thankful for even AFTER you’ve made these guys.
The kitchen is as I said the first place that I’d start but after that make sure you’ve got some nice cookie sheets or other types of bakeware to cook these guys on as I really think this is going to be the best way to go about doing this…
Here’s what IWantCrazyBlog has to say about making your own potato bagel:
- 1 medium potato, russet or yukon gold
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4oz packet active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
- Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 dried garlic flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and add the potato and cook until soft, 25-30 minutes
- Remove potato and reserve cooking liquid
- When the potato is cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and mash until smooth; adding cooking liquid if needed
- Stir in olive oil and honey until combined well with the mashed potato
- In a bowl fitted to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, salt and yeast
- Add potato mixture and 1 cup of reserved cooking liquid to the dry ingredients, beat on medium until dough comes together, add more cooking liquid if too dry.
- Take dough out onto a floured service and knead into a smooth ball, about 5 minutes
- Rub olive oil in a bowl and roll dough around and cover with a damp towel and put in a warm place to rise for 2 hours
- After 2 hours, punch the dough down and form into a log so you can cut into 12 equal pieces
- Roll each piece into a tight ball and put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with a damp cloth and let rise again for about 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, shape each dough ball, make a hole in the center with your thumbs and stretch until hole is about 1-2 inches wide. Return to baking sheet and cover once again with a damp cloth and let rise 15 more minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bring remaining reserved cooking water to a boil (add more water if needed) and then drop the bagels into the water a couple at a time and cook for 30 seconds a side, then set bagels on a rack to drain and then return to the parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake in the over for 15 minutes, then brush bagels with butter and if you’d like the ‘everything’ version sprinkle seasoning on at this time. Continue baking for 10 minutes. Once out of the oven brush any that you wish to be cinnamon sugar with butter again and top or roll bagel with a mixture of cinnamon sugar
As you can see this is actually a very simple recipe as long as you know what materials and steps to use…This is actually a lot of fun to do and is something that I see with people a lot and if you’re looking for something fun to do for the afternoon then I really think you should hop on board with this recipe as this is a whole lot of fun and is something that I’d recommend to everyone.
The thing about this is that for the price you really can’t beat the quality of bagels that are coming out of here and like I said if you can organize your kitchen you’re going to be in great standing with your home and is going to be something that you can do day in and day out.
After you nail this recipe down you’ll be able to start switching it up and experimenting with other bagel recipes and you might just find that this is your new favorite hobby and I’ll tell you right now nothing beats the flavor of fresh bagels!
Putting It All Together
At the end of the day this is something that I really think you’re going to find a lot of use out of. I know that for me this was something that was really difficult to come to terms with but once I started going at it and really putting my all into this I was really surprised at how much FUN I started having…
…this was a great activity for a lot of reasons and was something that was truly a learning experience for me…I know that in the future this is definitely something that I’ll continue doing and is something that I really hope you’ll find use out of as once I started doing this this quickly became my morning ritual!
If you’ve got any questions or comments please feel free to leave anything you might be having questions about below and I’d be more than happy to help you out with ANYTHING you might be having trouble with…also be sure to check back next week for our ongoing Bagel King series, until next time!